When it comes to plumbing fixtures and replacements, the devil is in the detail. That’s why today, we’re looking closely at two specific models of Roman tub cartridges from Moen: the 1248 and the 1248B.
We’ll take a close look at the pros and cons of each, aiming to provide you with all the knowledge you need to make the right choice for your specific needs.
A Brief Comparison Table
|Enhanced plastic composition
|Higher (due to improved material)
|Limited to specific Moen Roman tub faucets
|Compatible with a wider range of Moen Roman tub faucets
|Ease of Installation
What Are the Moen 1248 and 1248B Roman Tub Cartridges?
Before we dive into the comparison, let’s first understand what these products are. The Moen 1248 and 1248B are replacement cartridges for Moen’s two-handle Roman tub faucets.
They regulate water flow and temperature, so when you’re experiencing a leak or temperature inconsistency, it’s likely time for a replacement.
A Closer Look at Moen 1248 Roman Tub Cartridge
Let’s start with the Moen 1248 Roman tub cartridge. This little device might seem unassuming, but it can make a world of difference in the performance of your faucet.
This is the original cartridge designed for Moen’s Roman tub faucets. The 1248 is a non-metallic cartridge made from proprietary plastic materials. It uses an open design with internal plastic stop tubes.
The Moen 1248 cartridge was first introduced in the 1980s alongside the company’s iconic Roman tub faucet designs. This cartridge features:
- Plastic cartridge body – Made from proprietary plastic polymers designed for durability and corrosion resistance. The plastic body makes the cartridge lighter than brass models.
- Open design – The 1248 utilizes an open design with the internal components easily visible. Plastic stop tubes control water flow.
- 12-year warranty – Moen provides a 12-year limited warranty on the 1248 cartridge. This covers defects in materials and workmanship.
- Compression-style valves – It uses compression-style valves to control water flow and mixing. As the handle is turned, the valves compress to restrict water flow.
- Single lever handle – Designed for use with single-handle Roman tub faucets. Allows you to control hot and cold water with one lever.
- Easy installation – The 1248 is designed for easy drop-in installation and replacement in Moen Roman tub faucets.
Pros of Moen 1248
- Reliability: The Moen 1248 cartridge is known for its durability and reliability. It’s designed to last for years without causing any leaks or malfunctions.
- Ease of Installation: With its user-friendly design, this cartridge can be installed quickly and easily, saving you time and potentially costly professional installation fees.
- Cost-Effective: Compared to other cartridges in the market, the Moen 1248 is competitively priced, providing excellent value for your money.
Cons of Moen 1248
- Compatibility: While it’s a fantastic product, the Moen 1248 is designed to work with specific models of Moen Roman tub faucets, limiting its versatility.
A Closer Look at Moen 1248B Roman Tub Cartridge
The 1248B is an upgraded and redesigned cartridge that replaces the 1248. It features an all-brass body and other small internal changes to improve performance.
Now let’s shift our focus to the Moen 1248B Roman tub cartridge, the other titan in this match-up.
Moen introduced the 1248B cartridge several years ago to replace the original 1248. This upgraded cartridge offers:
- All-brass cartridge body – Constructed from solid brass for enhanced durability and temperature regulation. Resists corrosion better than plastic.
- Closed internal design – The 1248B utilizes a closed design, with the internal components concealed inside the brass body.
- Lifetime limited warranty – Upgraded to Moen’s lifetime limited warranty covering defects for as long as you own your home.
- Advanced temperature regulation – Utilizes thermowax technology inside to regulate water temperature and prevent scalding.
- Single lever handle – Retains single-lever handle functionality to control hot and cold water flow.
- Easy installation – Drop-in replacement installs easily just like the original 1248 cartridge.
Pros of Moen 1248B
- Improved Design: The Moen 1248B features a refined design that increases its overall performance and longevity, which translates into fewer replacements over the life of your faucet.
- Enhanced Material: The 1248B model utilizes a different plastic composition that improves durability, ensuring it holds up well even under continuous use.
- Versatility: This cartridge boasts a high level of compatibility, fitting a wider range of Moen Roman tub faucets compared to its 1248 counterpart.
Cons of Moen 1248B
- Higher Cost: With its enhanced features and material, the Moen 1248B cartridge comes with a slightly higher price tag than the 1248 model.
Key Differences Between Moen 1248 and 1248B Roman Tub Cartridges
While the Moen 1248 and 1248B Roman tub cartridges have several similarities, given that they’re from the same manufacturer and designed for the same purpose, they also exhibit some key differences.
Let’s delve into these to provide a clearer picture of what sets them apart.
- Material Composition
One of the most critical differences lies in the material used in the cartridges.
The Moen 1248 is made of durable plastic that guarantees longevity and efficient performance.
However, the 1248B model takes it a step further by employing an enhanced plastic composition.
This improvement increases the cartridge’s durability, ensuring it holds up well even under continuous use and is less likely to crack under pressure.
- Design and Functionality
Both cartridges are designed for ease of use and simple installation, but the Moen 1248B features a more refined design. This sophisticated design boosts its overall performance, providing a smoother operation and less likelihood of leakages over time.
It’s this improvement in design that contributes to the 1248B’s reputation for longevity.
Another key difference between the Moen 1248 and 1248B is their compatibility range. The Moen 1248 is designed to fit specific models of Moen’s Roman tub faucets, limiting its versatility.
On the other hand, the Moen 1248B boasts a more extensive compatibility range, fitting a wider range of Moen Roman tub faucet models. This means that the 1248B could be a more versatile option if you’re unsure about the exact model of your faucet.
- Price Point
With enhanced features comes an elevated price tag. The Moen 1248B, with its superior material and design, does cost slightly more than the 1248 model.
So, while the Moen 1248 serves as a cost-effective solution, the Moen 1248B may be seen as a longer-term investment.
So, the choice between the Moen 1248 and 1248B will depend on your particular needs, budget, and the model of your faucet.
Both cartridges offer excellent performance and durability, but with its refined design, enhanced material, and wider compatibility, the 1248B stands out as a more versatile yet slightly pricier option.
The 1248B has an upgraded lifetime limited warranty versus 12 years for the 1248.
- Temperature control
The 1248B includes thermowax technology to help regulate water temperature.
Which One Should You Choose?
Ultimately, your choice between the Moen 1248 and 1248B Roman tub cartridges will depend on your specific circumstances and requirements.
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly solution, and your faucet model is compatible, the Moen 1248 could be a perfect choice. It offers durability, reliability, and an easy installation process. However, keep in mind its limited compatibility.
On the other hand, if you don’t mind investing a bit more for added durability and wider compatibility, the Moen 1248B could be the ideal option for you. It’s designed to withstand the test of time and fit a larger array of Moen Roman tub faucets.
Installing Moen Roman Tub Cartridges
Once you’ve chosen the ideal cartridge for your Roman tub faucet, it’s time for installation. Here are some quick tips for smooth, hassle-free cartridge replacement:
- Turn off water supplies – Shut off the water at the main valve and open the tub faucet to let residual water drain out.
- Remove old cartridge – Refer to Moen instructions for your model. In most cases, just pull straight up to remove the old cartridge.
- Clean/prep the faucet body – Use a rag to wipe away any gunk or debris. Lubricate o-rings with non-petroleum grease.
- Seat replacement cartridge – Carefully insert the new 1248 or 1248B cartridge straight into the faucet body. You’ll feel it “click” into place.
- Reinstall handle and components – Replace any parts you removed like the faucet handle. Hand tighten only.
- Turn water back on – Slowly turn your water supply back on and test for leaks.
That’s all there is to it! With a simple cartridge swap, you can give your Moen Roman tub faucet an easy upgrade or repair.
FAQ – Common Moen Roman Tub Cartridge Questions
Here are answers to some frequently asked questions about Moen 1248 and 1248B Roman tub cartridges:
No, Moen offers several different cartridge models for their various tub and shower faucets. The 1248 and 1248B are specifically designed for Roman tub faucets.
The Moen 1224 is the original cartridge for Posi-Temp pressure-balancing shower valves. The 1224B is the new and improved version made from brass rather than plastic.
The best way to identify which cartridge you need is to check the existing cartridge in your Moen faucet and note down the engraved model number. This 4-digit number indicates the specific cartridge required for that faucet. You can also check the owner’s manual or Moen’s website with your faucet name/model for cartridge verification.
No, the Moen 1225 and 1225B cartridges are different models for specific faucet types:
The 1225 is the original cartridge designed for single-handle Moen kitchen faucets. It has a plastic body.
The 1225B is the newer, upgraded cartridge made of brass to replace the 1225. It fits the same faucet models but is more durable.
So while both cartridges will fit Moen single-handle kitchen faucets, the 1225B offers improved construction and longevity over the original 1225 version. They are not identical, with the “B” indicating the newer brass model.
Plumbing might seem complicated, but making the right choices in replacement parts can significantly simplify your life and save you money in the long run.
While both the Moen 1248 and 1248B Roman tub cartridges have their own set of advantages and drawbacks, they both stand as excellent examples of Moen’s commitment to quality and performance.
By understanding the specific needs of your faucets and weighing the pros and cons of each model, you can confidently decide whether the Moen 1248 or the 1248B is the better choice for you.
Either way, you’re guaranteed the reliability and longevity that have become synonymous with the Moen brand.
Remember, an informed customer makes the best decisions, and we hope this guide has given you the insight you need to choose the right Roman tub cartridge for your home.