New or old, does not matter, your high-quality flushing toilet can get clogged anytime for any reason. Most of the time your toilet gets clogged because you or someone from your family has tried to flush something other than liquid & solid waste, and toilet paper.
The situation gets worse when you visit your friend’s home after using the toilet, you notice it is clogged. There is nothing more embarrassing than that because you can’t get out of the bathroom without fixing the toilet. You may even freak out when you notice there is no plunger in your friend’s bathroom.
If that happens to you, take a deep breath, keep your head cool.
Yes I know, with the help of a plunger, you can fix it easily. And it’s pretty rare that there is no plunger in a home. But as I said above, the exception may happen. You may be out of a plunger. So, you need to fix your toilet without the help of a plunger. This article is all about unclogging your toilet without the plunger.
There are several methods available you can do it. I will explain 3 to 4 methods and include a video tutorial on it. So sit tight and stay with me. The job is not as hard as you think.
Method 1 to Unclog a Toilet without a Plunger
First, you need to make sure your toilet bowl is not overflowing. This method won’t work if it is overflowing. You need to manually remove the overflowed water from the toilet bowl. Yes, it’s a nasty job but you must do it first.
Items Need To Work This Method
- Liquid Dishwasher Soap/Liquid Hand washes/soap/Shampoo.
- Hot Water.
- A bucket.
Considering the toilet bowl is not overflowing, get a bucket of hot water (in most of the cases you should have a bucket and hot water in the bathroom). Make sure the water is too hot or boiling. Because boiling water will damage the plastic parts of the toilet.
Open the toilet seat with lid first to pour the hot water into the toilet bowl. Wait for at least 10 minutes to marinate the clogged stuff. If the clogged stuff is not the hard nut to crack, the hot water level should be down in the toilet bowl. It that is what happens, it means the trick is working. If not, go to the next step.
In this step, you need to mix the dishwasher liquid soap with the hot water. Then pour the mixture into the toilet bowl and wait for a while. The liquid dishwasher will lubricate the passage for the solid material to unclog it rapidly. In most of the cases, this should work.
Without mixing the liquid dishwasher with the water first, you can directly pour a significant amount of the liquid into the toilet bowl first followed by pouring a bucket of hot water.
If you don’t have dishwasher liquid or you don’t have the chance to get them because you are at your friend’s home, you can use the liquid hand wash soap as well. Even if the hand wash soap is not available, you need to cut the bar soap into small pieces and pour them into the hot water.
In most of the cases, the above solution should unclog your toilet without taking the help of a plunger. If not, repeat the hot water and soap method again and again. It should work.
Other Methods to Unclog a Toilet without Plunger
If the above method does not work for you, that is not the end of the world. As I said above, it can happen to anyone with any toilet. Even if you have the branded TOTO toilets, it may happen. Don’t be frustrated.
Luckily, there are some other methods to apply so that you can unclog it yourself. I will briefly explain them.
- The Bleach & Dish Detergent Combo: The chemical combination of the bleach and dish detergent is proven to unclog a toilet in most of the cases. Pour a cup of bleach and a cup of dish detergent into the toilet bowl. Wait for about 30 minutes. The chemical reaction of these two should break the blockage.
- Use the Toilet Brush as the Plunger: It’s a dirty method, but just like you use the plunger, you can use the toilet brush as well to unclog your toilet. Push the bristles of the brush into the drain hole and give some forceful pumps and stay away. Sometimes, it works!
- Use the Wire Hanger as the Toilet Snake: If you know what you are doing, you can use the wire hanger just like the toilet snake to unclog your toilet. Straighten the wire and insert it into the toilet bowl. Move the wire hanger around try to break the blockage. It works just like the toilet snake that is available at your nearby hardware store.
- Some people have found using the Epsom salts effective to unclog the toilet as well.
Literally, I have discussed all the available option to unclog a toilet when you don’t have the plunger to fix it. Any of the above-discussed methods should be able to fix the problem. If it does, say thank you in the comment box and share this guide with your friends and family members. They might need it.
If nothing works, then it’s time to buy a plunger and fix it. If you are run out of luck, even the plunger may not fix the clogged toilet. You may need to hire a professional plumber to fix it. Now, watch the video on how to unclog a toilet without a plunger.