Do you have a clogged flushing toilet? I am asking because even if you have the best flushing toilet on the market, it will clog eventually. You may need to call in a plumber immediately. While you may feel that it isn’t an issue that you need to worry about, it could soon go out of hand. More, if you are leaving your home for a vacation in a few days, you would need to ensure that your pipes and taps are working just as it should.
If you ignore them, you might just return to a flooded home after your vacation.
Saving Water and Protecting Toilets and Sinks
Water is a scarce resource. Studies suggest that only 1% of the water in the world is fit for human consumption – and you wouldn’t want to waste water.
Yet, that is exactly what can happen, as clogged sinks and toilets could lead to them leaking. And even if you have a simple leaking tap, it could waste up to as much as 260 liters of water.
You don’t need to wait for the clogged bathroom sink to leak.
What do you do with a clogged bathroom?
Clogging in our bathroom sink is a frequent problem. We might end up spending a lot of money on this, whereas we can fix this problem by ourselves. We all get to know when the sink is clogging, thanks to its bad odor, leaking pipes and within two days you can see a small pool in your bathroom with full of stinky water. Even if you have the self-closing best heated toilet seat, it can’t stop bad smell coming out of your toilet. If you find something like this, no need to call a plumber.
The top tips to fix a clogged bathroom sink
Just have some required precautions like gloves and mask, and follow these steps:
- Boiling water: Yes, you read it right, you can fix your clogged sink with the help of boiling water. This is the easiest trick to clean up your messy sink pipes. You just need to boil a huge amount of water and pour it into you clogged sink in 2-3 steps with an interval of 5 minutes to let the hot water do its job. And it will be cleared in as less time as half an hour. Don’t forget to use your gloves while you pour it and do it as much care as you can.
- Caustic Soda: It might be a little-complicated trick but a must use when you have the enormous amount of litter in your bathroom sink. You can find Caustic Soda at any hardware shop. You need to pour normal water in a bucket(3/4gallons) and mix 3-4 cups of caustic soda in it, mix well with the wooden stick until it starts fizzing and become hot. Pour this mixture in the clogged sink and wait for 20-30 minutes. Pour some more boiling water after that, repeat this if necessary. Don’t forget to protect your face and hand, as this chemical mixture might give you some unwanted burns.
You could apply this on a vanity with sink as well. It will work great and unclog it before you know it.
- Dish washer: This is another easy trick to unclog your toilet sink. Take ¼ cup of dish washer powder in a bowl, add boiling water to it, mix it well. Pour it in the sink. The dishwasher will work as lubricants for your clogged pipes. After pouring that mixture you need to be ready with your plunger, start plunging and use your hands if required. Don’t forget to wear gloves and protect your eyes.
- Baking Soda and Salt: Here’s another trick to get rid of clogged sink smartly. Mix the half cup of table salt and a half cup of baking soda. Pour this mixture and after 15-20 minutes put boiling water, wait for the chemical reaction to happen down in the pipes. Make sure by pouring some normal water down there afterward.
- Baking Soda & Vinegar: Another miracle that baking soda can make. Mix 1/3 cup of Baking Soda with 1/3 cup of Vinegar. Wait no more pour it down the sink pipe, as it will start fizz immediately. Then wait for an hour or two, best if you leave it overnight. Pour hot water the next morning, and you can see the magic of these daily use cooking ingredients. You can also put a lot of baking soda first and then pour the vinegar and wait. Pour hot water afterward and start using the sink same as before.
- The Drain Snake: Isn’t the name is interesting? Now let me tell you it is an easy to use tool, you can find it almost in every hardware shop. Get this wonderful tool, a bucket and gloves along with some regular plumbing tool then watch these videos. After it goes well you can treat yourself with the plumber’s fees.
Here’s how to do it:
- The Wire Hanger: Now this is what I call, simply nasty wonder. You just need a regular wire coat hanger and make it straight as much as you can. Then, create a small hook on one end by bending it. Put it down in your clogged drain and pull everything out that you can feel at the hook. Be careful, as you need to pull everything out, don’t push it inwards. After taking out whatever you can, run through hot water. Don’t forget to wear gloves as you need to use your hands every time you take out some litter.
- Cleaning the pipe: This might sound like a plumber’s job but believe me with the help some easy tools you can do it by yourself, but before that make sure you are comfortable cleaning hair, gunk, grime some more stinky, sticky things. Follow this video and save the plumber’s fees:
Get started right away!
Hope these tips will be helpful to get rid of that unwanted odor and unrequired leaks in your bathroom. You can also use those less complicated tricks once in a month, to maintain your drainage system and keep your bathroom clean and hygienic. Cleaning the clogged bathroom sink is not a standalone task. Clean other stuff like cleaning the toilet bowl at-least weekly. Use best toilet bowl cleaner to clean toilet bowl to get the best result.