The bathroom is the most frequently used space in our entire home. Deciding to remodel a bathroom is a broad idea and cover many things. But there is no doubt, if you are a homeowner, remodeling the bathroom will increase the value of your home significantly.
Often I get the question how much does it cost to remodel a bathroom. In this article, I will try to give you an idea. No matter whether it is a small or master bathroom remodeling, you will find this article useful.
Irrespective of the size of the bathroom, the cost of remodeling will vary in many things like labor and material cost. Also, your location will play an important role in determining the cost.
Materials/Items Cost of Bathroom Remodeling
I tried to keep the budget for bathroom items as low as possible. Don’t repeatedly change your plan or budget. Here is the estimate of items considering you are buying them new:
- New Toilet: This is the first thing you need to replace completely. Settle for a dual-flush toilet from any reputed brand like TOTO. You should keep a budget of at least $300 for the new toilet. Of course, there are high-end toilets which will cost you not less than $ 900.
- A New Sink: After the toilet, your sink is the most used item and people notice it first. They are usually cheap, so you should buy a new one. Normally you can buy it within $100. Please keep in mind that, this is the minimum price.
- Bathtub: Unless it is a must to change the tub, don’t change it. You can clean it yourself just like the new. Take it as a DIY home project. However, if you still plan to change it with a new one, keep a budget of at least $500 for a great bathtub.
- Floor Tile: It’s not easy to get rid of mold from the old floor tile. It is a better decision to replace it. The bad news is it will cost you huge. Keep a budget of at least $1000.
- Cabinet: In a modern bathroom, a cabinet is a must to keep necessary stuff like medicine and so on. So, you should keep a budget of at least $400 for it.
- Vanity Cabinet: A vanity cabinet with a countertop basin and faucet is a smart addition to the bathroom. Unfortunately, a good quality bathroom vanity cabinet will cost a huge space in the bathroom. If you stick to the vanity cabinet decision, make a budget for at least $500 for the vanity.
So in summary, the total item cost for the bathroom remodeling is as follows:
|Price Of The New Sink||$100.00
|Price Of The Bathtub||$500.00
|Price Of The Floor tile||$1000.00
|Price Of The Cabinet||$400.00|
|Price Of The Vanity||$500.00|
As you can see from the above table, just for the above materials, you need to have a budget of at least $3000. You should add the same amount to your budget for plumbing materials and labors.
For non-plumbing labor & other building materials and supplies, you should have a budget of at least another $4000. So in total, you need to have a budget of at least $10,000 to remodel a small bathroom.
Must Doings While Remodeling A Bathroom
- Get as many quotes as possible from the plumbers.
- Mention every detail of your remodeling plan so that the plumber can give you an affordable and much accurate cost estimation.
- When you finalize the plumber, talk to him in an open mind about what you want and remind the plumber about your budget range for each item.
- Changing the layout of the bathroom will change the budget as well. So, make up your mind first about changing the layout before you make the budget.
- You should take account the unexpected cost factor in your remodeling plan as well. This unexpected cost may totally alter the budget for the remodeling your bathroom. Unexpected cost typically happens when you break the wall of your bathroom and try to increase the size of it. You may face the water line damage and so on for which you need to be mentally prepared.
- Always stick to the plan and budget. During the remodeling, you may come up with new ideas or your plumber may fill your head with new ideas. While a flexible plan and budget is a good thing, you should always try to stick to the plan.
Wrapping It Up
A good plan is something like getting the job half done. The more accurately you can estimate and plan the remodeling, the more you will be satisfied with your remodeled bathroom and probably save some money.
As I said above, this article is all about giving you a rough idea of remodeling a bathroom. Of course, your cost will be different in reality. Prices are always changing. The per hour rate of the plumber and other labor always change. But if you plan the way I showed here, your remodeling job will be a lot easier.